I turned professional in 1979 and became an Assistant Professional to Ian Connelly at Dyrham Park Golf Club. Ian Connelly was one of the most foremost teachers of the day, coaching many fine players and writing for a number of golf magazines. He was best known for being Nick Faldo’s original coach and I still use many of the ideas that he taught me to this day.
Having completed my PGA training I decided to play full time and over a five year period competed in PGA events at local and national level. I also chanced my arm in some European Tour Events and even tried to qualify for the US Open. Highlights for me were winning the Hertfordshire PGA Assistants and Order of Merit in one year. I also became the South of England Under 25 Champion and after that competed in events in France, Spain & Italy. My favourite memory was tying Greg Norman for third place in a 36 hole tournament in Cannes, behind Corey Pavin. After that, from a golfing perspective, we all went our separate ways!
I finished full time playing in 1987 and became the Head Professional at Ramsey Golf Club, subsequently moved to Harpenden Common and then to Metro Golf Centre. In 2000 the opportunity presented itself to come to Mid Herts Golf Club and I have been happily here for over 10 years.
I have worked with David Short for many years, hosting a number of the ‘Golf & Coaching’ events, as well as the Escorted Golf Tours.
- I have given over 35,000 lessons and counting!
- Herts First Team Coach 1994 – 2006
- Involved in coaching at Boys U18, U16 and U14 levels in Hertfordshire since 1993
- Currently Hertfordshire’s Girls U16 Coach
- Worked individually with over 150 County golfers and have had several pupils go on to play for their Country.
- Currently working with a dozen fellow golf professionals.
- Official Coach to Times Corporate Golf Challenge, 1999 – 2006
- Golf Monthly magazine teaching panelist since 2003
- Voted into UK Top 25 Coaches in 2006
- Golf Schools in the UK and abroad
- Putting clinics with putting guru and YES putter inventor, Harold Swash
- Hosted Golf Psychology sessions with top man Karl Morris
- Short game clinics with five time Ryder Cup player, Ken Brown – Coach to the William Hunt Trilby Tour in association with Sky Sports